Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
The (QMAS) Quality Migrant Admission Scheme is basically a point-based immigration system in Hong Kong which was announced in February 2006. By May 2008, approximately 500 individuals have been admitted to residence into Hong Kong under this scheme. QMAS is a quota based scheme which seeks to attract skilled or talented individuals to settle in Hong Kong so as to enhance the economic competiveness of Hong Kong.
Individuals who succeed under this scheme can sponsor their spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 year of age to Hong Kong after meeting certain requirements.
There are two methods of assessments under this scheme:
All applicants must satisfy all of the following prerequisites :
- The applicant must be aged 18 or above when lodging an application under the Scheme
- The applicant must have a good education background
- The applicant should be proficient in written and spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate that he/she is capable of supporting and accommodating himself/herself and his/her dependants, if any, on his/her own financial resources without relying on public assistance during his/her stay in Hong Kong
- The applicant should not have any criminal record or adverse immigration record in Hong Kong or elsewhere
All applicants under the Scheme are required to fulfill a set of prerequisites before they can be awarded points under one of the two points-based tests under the Scheme.
Applicants who have met all the prerequisites may choose to be assessed either under a "General Points Test" or "Achievement-based Points Test".
General Points Test
|Academic / Professional Qualifications||45|
Minimum passing marks are 80
Achievement-based Points Test
- The applicant has received an award of exceptional achievement (e.g. Olympic medals, Nobel Prize, national/international awards); or
- The applicant can show that his/her work has been acknowledged by his/her peers or has contributed significantly to the development of his/her field (e.g. lifetime achievement award from industry).