ICT - Intra Company Transfers

Intra Company Transfers allow specialists in their respective field to work temporarily in Canada. This program is designed to help corporates with a branch in Canada or multinationals either a parent or a branch company in Canada, to temporarily transfer foreign workers into Canada.

The foreign national will first enter Canada through work permit. Such a foreign national can either work in the company or set up the branch company in Canada.

What should the company do to get a foreign national into Canada?

  • First the company has to secure physical premises for the Canada office. If the premises are yet to be decided by the executive himself, then the company can use counsel’s address for the new start-up until the executive can purchase or lease a premise
  • The company must come up with realistic plans to staff the new operation
  • The company must show financial stability able enough to commence business in Canada and pay salaries to the executives employed there.
  • When applying for permission of transfer of executives or managers to Canada, they must demonstrate that the company can support the executive or the management function
  • When applying for permission of transfer of specialized knowledge worker, the company must demonstrate that it is expected to do business and must ensure that work is guided and directed by management at the Canadian operation.

The Company must provide a Business Plan covering all the above mentioned points.

what should the employee do to be transferred to Canada?

The Foreign national needs to prove that he or she has been employed with the company, outside Canada continuously on a full time job for the past year or more during the last 3 years before submission of application.


  • A branch or parent needs to be opened in Canada with a local director on board. The company can have 100% ownership with the Foreign National.
  • Prepare a business plan for the Canada Corporation
  • Prepare a job offer letter from the Canadian Corporation to the employer who needs to be transferred into Canada. The position and salary needs to be defined according to the National Corporation Codes in Canada
  • Presentation of documents to prove the existence of the foreign company for 4years and more. This includes registration documents, foreign and tax documents
  • Collecting all the information of the foreign national
  • Apply for work permit for the employee

Permanent residency In Canada

  • The foreign national can work in Canada with the Work Permit for 1 to 2 years.
  • This is renewable for 5 years
  • The employee can apply for Permanent residency in Canada after 1 year of working in Canada
Fix an Appointment